Sunday, February 23, 2014

Memories of Months Gone By....Part 2

Today is Sunday, February 23rd and although it is cold and overcast, I can't help but remember that wonderful Sunday,  just seven months ago, when angels descended upon my home and my heart was filled with joy!  

It was on the morning of July 14th. The weather was sunny but the temperature was already well into the 90s. As I sat on my porch, wondering if anyone should work in that heat, the cars began to pull in!  It was so difficult to accept the generosity of friends working for me. I was always so independent, strong and more comfortable helping others rather than they helping me. Through fellowship and enlightening, however, my friends helped me learn to accept and enjoy their labor of love.   
                                                                                               
Here I am on the porch so comforted to see everyone arrive. 

Within minutes and a loving hello, everyone got right to work. The blackberry patch got raked and weeded, a front walk was laboriously dug and lined with flat stones and the driveway stone wall had finally started to get built. With precise measuring, the cedar fence posts and rails also began getting built and taking shape.   

Here is Sheila Polson and Carolyn May weeding the blackberries.

The amazing Becca Swan who never stopped working, was last to leave that day.  
There was also Brian Bardsley who worked so hard on the front pathway.

   
                                                                                      ☝Libby Simon and Cindy Dunham☝
                                                                                       also worked hard on the front walkway. 

                                            
 The stone wall was worked on by many folks including Chris Beebe and my son Tim Neilson.

  Jim Dunham, Tony Oppersdorff,  Andrew Oliver and Chris Polson worked on building the fence. 

As the day progressed, many friends worked on painting bird feeders, house posts and door steps. They also dug up stones and weeds in the gardens.   




Jane Babbit painted a post and bird 
☜  feeder.



Vicki Doudera 
and Shannon Thompson worked on several different projects. ☞


  Des FitzGerald and his daughter Caitlin FitzGerald, 
cleaned out large rocks and weeds from the vegetable gardens.

Des's sons Ryan and Alex FitzGerald were also there to help me that day.

 
          ☝ Kathleen Oliver & Lucinda Ziesing (Alex's Mom) 
                       worked in the flower gardens.
☜ Marianne Smith painted stairs and also weeded the garden. 


Some folks took a break to cool down and have some lunch. Des FitzGerald and Michael Crockett not only worked hard building but also spent many hours planning and preparing for that day.




       
 
           
☝Des FitzGerald sat on the cooler talking with Stuart Smith (in green) and Chris Beebe (in blue)
 while Michael Crockett used a tool to measure the height and level of the deck boards.☝

                         Lots of measuring, cutting, covering and nailing took place to build a lovely deck off the back of the house. 

                                                                
Wyatt Philbrook measured and sawed posts and beams while 
George Wheelwright and Ed Doudera cut and wraped boards.  ☝

Finally after a long, hot and hard-working day, it was time for my friends to say goodbye. As they packed up and waved so long, I began to weep. How beautiful my home had become and how truly blessed I felt for being so well cared for. What a joy to know that there are so many wonderful people in this world who care enough to show their love and support.  

Here is what it looked like at the end of the day........

Here is the new back deck and painted bird post. 

Here is the stone wall and front pathway.... 

                                                                   and here is the wood fence surrounding the front yard. 
Thank you my friends for showing me your love and generosity. I have been truly blessed by each and everyone of you and I will not soon forget it. You have created a "Heaven" for me, one that I cherish each and every day. I pray that THIS is the "Heaven" I get to partake of for many, many years to come.
You are always welcome here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting the Catch Meadow Cottage Blog!