Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Staining The Beams

The last few days have been spent staining the beams and priming the walls. Originally we were thinking that we were going to white-wash the beams, but now that the stain has dried, we are reconsidering that idea. We really like the warmth of the brown against the white. 
Michael spent time sanding each beam while I took a knife and hacked away pieces to make them look weathered and time worn.

Here is what the beams in the bedroom looked like when I first started staining.

                       And here is what they look like after. Notice the wall is also primed one coat.
                                                      The ceiling has been primed as well.

Here is the kitchen in the middle of being stained. As you can see, I hopped off the ladder just before
 I finished staining the end of the first beam.

Here it is completed. Can you tell how much lighter the beams are after they have dried?
The walls in the kitchen have also been primed. The ceiling is next.

Lastly, I stained the beams in the living and dining room. The two holes you see in the forefront of the beam will be filled with wooden plugs, hopefully resembling the old-time way of joining beams. The stone fireplace will go between the two windows. We've been collecting flat stones each week to have enough stone to fill in this area. 


The beams and stone remind me of the cottage in the movie, The Holiday. 
I just loved the interior of that cottage. 

Have I shown you my newest find yet? This wonderful old chair will fit in beautifully once it's been cleaned up and reupholstered. I love the carved embellishments around the upholstery. It's so sturdy and comfortable too. I can just picture myself cuddled up in it with a book and a cup of tea, by the fire on a cold winter's night.


                            Look at the lovely scroll work on the top. Hand carved? It looks it.
                                                     For $40.00 I think I got a very good deal!

Walking through the meadow today, I couldn't help but look back at the cottage and admire how quaint it looked surrounded by the glory of autumn.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carole and Michael,
    It looks like everything is coming along wonderfully. I love the beams! I'm hoping there's still a pile of branches for a New Years Eve bonfire.
    Love, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Abby!
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Things are coming along very nicely and in the next week we will see huge changes. The burn piles are still there. We're looking forward to a nice gathering. I hope you are well. I love your picture...So beautiful!
    Warm Hugs,
    Carole and Michael

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting the Catch Meadow Cottage Blog!