Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mushroom Miracles


Here at Catch Meadow Cottage, nature and wildlife abound. Yet nothing seems quite so prevalent as mushrooms! They are everywhere and luckily I love them. Eating them (the edible ones), photographing them and studying them. They are so varied in form, color and texture and I just find them fascinating. I thought I would share with you, some of the mushrooms I discovered this week.

One of the many trails I walk, looking for mushrooms.

                                   The beautiful but deadly, Destroying Angel (Amanita virosa)

                                                                The medicinal Turkey Tail

                                              A hearty Bolete (I'm just not sure of the exact type)

                                                   Yellow-Tipped Coral (Ramaria formosa)

                                                  Shaggy Scaly Cap (Pholiota squarrosa)

                                               Scaly Vase Chanterelle (Gomphus floccosus) 

                                                       A polypore (I'm not sure which type)

     I thought this was a Honey Mushroom but after reviewing this photo, my friend who is the Maine  
     Mycology expert, feels they are more likely Pholiota alnicola.

For the next few weeks I'll be on the lookout for Chanterelles and Black Trumpet mushrooms. 
Tis the season!

We've had a few shy visitors recently walk the trails too. We caught sight of them on the Trail Cams  
   Matt set up a few weeks ago.

                                                         A gentle doe headed into the meadow.

                 An eight point buck, healthy and strong.
       
                              Enjoy your day! Keep your eyes open for the little miracles of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting the Catch Meadow Cottage Blog!