Friday, August 24, 2012

The Front Door

Last week another exciting thing happened. Our front door arrived! It was a special order from a local retailer but we didn't have to wait very long to get it. At first we thought they confused the order because when it arrived it looked like a fully assembled child's bed.


                                                 After unwrapping it, we were soon relieved.


          Notice the lovely dental shelf detail below the six-lite window. This is the outside of the door.

It was really important to me to have a door that was quaint and charming but was also sturdy and rugged enough for Maine's climate. I wanted wood but of course I'd be throwing money away if I expected a wood door to stand up to the rain, snow and wind we get here. I found a wonderful door that fit all the criteria. It is a fiberglass door with wood grain and can easily be stained or painted any color you like. You can get it pre-stained but we ordered it unfinished so we could choose our own stain color and save over $300.00!


Michael got right to work installing the new front door. As you can see, the old door will soon be gone and the new one is now in place and centered under the overhang. (By the way, that rhododendron in front of the door will be removed and transplanted elsewhere this fall.)


Michael made me promise that I would add this photo to my blog. He took this of me the other day  because he said that there are way too many photos of him and none of me. I reluctantly obliged.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting the Catch Meadow Cottage Blog!